Search This Blog

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Challenge#6 for Sew Cal Gal's FMQ Challenge

Well, I only hope I can finish this post before the linky closes. I'm counting on Sew Cal Gal being on Pacific Time, I'm on Central and it's already past midnight. Crazy day! But I'm not really in it for the prizes, so I guess it doesn't matter...

I wasn't sure if this would even count for the Challenge #6. It's supposed to be about how your quilting has improved. Well, it really has, so I thought I'd give some examples.

First and foremost, my feathers. The first feathers I made:
Pretty shaky. But I've been quilting feathers in several quilts. Here are a few examples:
Here I used feathers in the background and in the hexie flowers.

The leaves for the flowers are all feathers, each with a different top and several different fronds.

It's hard to see here, but there's a continuous feather border around the quilt, and each square contains a feathered wreath.
My AAQI quilt feathers, much more detailed.
So, I've really improved with feathers. But my other quilting has improved as well. My first attempt at swirls:
Really rocky.
You may have noticed much better swirls in the quilts above that also have feathers. But look at these as well:
My son's wedding quilt. My original design and all quilting is FMQ, unmarked. Really proud of this one.

My first wholecloth quilt. This created quite a stir at my guild's quilt show.  It is all FMQ, even the straight lines. No walking foot. Can you believe it? I can't!
I never would have dreamed a year ago that I could ever do those last two quilts! Has my quilting improved? What do you think?

To Sew Cal Gal and her wonderful experts, thank you from the bottom of my heart. I have a new passion as a result of your inspiration. I have a lot further to go, but I have definitely made a lot of progress!

Post #2 for Sew Cal Gal's FMQ Challenge 2013

Libby's Ribbon!

Here's my ribbon entry using Libby Lehman's Threadplay instructions - almost. I decided to use only one variegated thread for the ribbon instead of two colors, though I did use a light gold metallic thread at the top. It has a bit of a different effect, but I still like it. I did the technique from memory - I had drawn it many times first. It was fun using my metallic threads and I tried Superior's Magnifico polyester as well. Loved it! Big, bright and easy to use. In any case, here's my entry:

It's the last day for Sew Cal Gal's Challenge. If I want to win a prize, I have to post one more entry today. I have the quilting done, but still have to photograph it and write the post. Wish me luck! (I think I need it - it's Halloween and I'm also handing out candy tonight. Busy!)

In case I don't get the next post done in time, I still want to thank Sew Cal Gal for the Challenge, both last year and this year. In less than two years' time, I've gone from being afraid to lower my feed dogs to getting raves from my friends on my beautiful free motion machine quilting. I owe it all to the inspiration of Sew Cal Gal and her wonderful experts. Thank you! And if you are reading this and are afraid to lower those feed dogs, I'm here to tell you, just do it! If you keep trying, you'll amaze yourself. I certainly have!