Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Make It! Red and White Challenge

I'm back with a different challenge entry today. Sew Cal Gal issued a Red and White Quilt Challenge to inspire her followers to design and/or make a red and white quilt and show it in her virtual show. As usual for Sew Cal Gal challenges, there are some great prizes that will be awarded.  Check it out by clicking the graphic below!
The challenge is issued in 4 phases. This entry is for phase 3, the design phase. (I don't own a red and white quilt, so I wasn't able to enter phase 1, which was to show red and white quilts made before 2014.) I had entered the design phase with several designs which I did in EQ7, which was lots of fun! But I actually came up with another design when I took a workshop on Drunkard's Path variations from Pepper Cory, which was offered through my guild. It was a great workshop! Pepper is a terrific teacher, and I actually came up with my own block design which I've been exploring since. I call the block "Capture the Stars" because it looks to me like a bead with stars embedded in it. This is one of the many variations I've been playing with.

Set of four "Capture the Stars" blocks.

This one reminded me of Christmas ornaments, so I decided to make my red and white challenge quilt using this block. I think it will make a nice Christmas throw or wall hanging, don't you?

Curved piecing is not my strong suit, which is one of the reason's I was taking Pepper Cory's workshop in the first place. She did help me with my pinning (I need to pin, and with thin, small pins) and slowing down when sewing those curves. Also, I learned to use a stiletto (or my seam ripper) to pin down the fabrics at the end of the seam so that the fabric doesn't just slide out of alignment. As you can see, I've been practicing, and the curves are getting better.

Here are the fabrics (all from my stash) that I pulled to work with and I cut the blocks using Pepper's templates, which made the pieces fit together much more easily. They come in 6" or 8" sizes, and I used the 6" for this quilt. I was able to rotary cut them with these templates and a 45mm cutter, though the inside curve was easier when I used my 28mm cutter. Pepper also recommends a revolving cutting board, but I didn't have one, so I just turned my mat as needed.

Once the pieces were cut and sewn, I set them on point, added some raw edge applique "ribbons" and "bows" and then added a border. Here's the quilt put together and sandwiched for quilting:
I've got most of the seams stitched in the ditch right now, and am working on the rest of the quilting. 

This part of the challenge is for making the quilt. To see the finished quilt in all its quilted glory, you'll have to come back later in October for Sew Cal Gal's Virtual Quilt Show. I'll be entering the category for original design. Hope to see you then!  :^)


  1. Looks great! Glad you joined in the fun.

  2. It is great to see the process you used for making this. Would you mind very uch if I stowed this design away in my mind to make one day - or if you were thinking of writing it as a pattern I would love to buy it! I think the quilting you did on it on your next post really enhanced it too - great job! (PS You showed up as no-reply on my blog so I couldn't reply to you - thank you so much for visiting and your warm comment.)